Friday, December 14, 2012

Blah.

Sigh. I keep trying to find the right college to get a BA in, but nowhere I look seems to be the right place for me. In Washington, anyways-- there are plenty of good schools out of state, but that's not really an option for me.

It's not like I was expecting to find the perfect opportunity ever -- well, okay, maybe I was hoping desperately for it -- but I guess I was expecting better. Evergreen was looking good, right up until I found out I'd have to MAKE my own BA. Which sounds perfect in theory, but in practice, I suspect would be insane.

I just wish I could be some sort of Assistant Illustrator for a couple years until I'm good enough to be one myself. Or, better yet, maybe the webcomic turns out to be a huge success...

Pfft! Yeah right.

(Oh god please let it be a success. Please, oh please...)

I guess I should feel lucky to have a mentor (sorta) in the Illustration field, but as far as I can figure, it looks like I'm going to be going to a college that only kinda works for four years while I work my ass off to get better, and then have a mostly useless degree. And THEN I can start doing interesting stuff.

That sounds kinda bleak to me. I guess I have my fingers crossed for a stroke of luck (or genius) that will let me skip to the Illustrating part.

I've never been able to count on good luck, and I doubt that I can take a shortcut.

Okay, okay, I know, I do have it pretty good, and everyone has to pay their dues and stuff. But... Well... It sucks.

I'm actually half- hoping that by posting about it, the wisdom of the crowd will help me out somehow. Posting stuff on the Internet is like panning for gold-- you have to sift through layers of useless crap, but there's a chance you'll find a golden nugget hidden amongst the rest.

But probably not.

Oh well. Time to go do something productive now.

1 comment:

  1. Look for the right teachers, rather than the right degree programs.

    Art is one of the few professions where degrees don't really matter. As long as you have a well-rounded, professional, portfolio? You're basically set.

    Now, I'm biased of course... but Gage Academy of Art is a great school (right here in Seattle). Particularly their Atelier programs--where art is taught in the classical tradition.
    No classes. No tests. No degrees. Just... art--taught by professional artists.
    Very independent-study oriented... If you prefer that sort of learning, then you should look into it.

    -cosmicunicorn

    ReplyDelete